Featured Post

Day One...A novel in progress

Well, this is a first for me...blogging my way while I write my eighth novel. I would like to get it done by October, so that will be my go...

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Big Scare!

Writers go through many emotions, upheavals, and whatnot, but we manage to come out of them alive. Today was my worst day. Let me explain...

Work, my full-time job was good. No complaints whatsoever, but...when I got home, I made dinner, steak, corn on the cob, then did my dishes, got my hair cut and came home to work on my book.
Now, Microsoft word has been the only thing I've ever used, but since we got updated to 2013 and Vista 10, I hate it. Never in my entire writing career have I ever had issues with saving a document.

Click on 'save as' and you're good to go right? Wrong.

Last night I went to 'save as' and it wouldn't let me, nor would it let me copy and paste it onto a new document. Now, I've had this issue before. Many times and it's frustrating as all get out. I don't do anything different. So, I noticed at the top of my word doc it said 'compatibility mode' so I thought maybe that was the reason for the issues. Means its an old version. Well, it didn't help. Still had the same issues.

So, I thought I would just 'save' like I did last night. Wouldn't even let me do that. So, how was I suppose to close it? So, I clicked on the 'Don't Save' which told me it would revert back to the old document...it disappeared! It wasn't even on the recent list in MS word! Panic ensued.

I ran to the basement where my hubby was working and told him. He hates it when he can't find things on computers and I tried to relay my actions as best as I could so that he could possibly find it. In the meantime, I prayed to St. Anthony to help. You know what? HE DID!  My husband and St. Anthony, together, found my document that I had been working on tonight and saved it in a new file on the desktop and I opened it in Open Office. I also saved it to my thumb drive as well.

Tip: Save often, save on a thumb drive. Have backups!

Life as a writer is never dull. Truly.

No comments: